Understanding the car accident settlement process in Colorado

All states differ when it comes to reporting car accidents and going through the process of settling the damages. In Colorado, you will have the responsibility to report a car accident to the police when it results in any injuries or damages to property. If the other driver is injured, and you are not, you have the responsibility to offer aid or help them to receive medical attention.

Since 2003, Colorado has been an "at-fault" state when it comes to car accident claims. This means that you will need to seek damages from the at-fault driver's insurance provider.

How is fault established?

Your insurance company will take action to investigate what happened after a car accident and seek to establish fault. You may be able to aid the investigation by taking pictures at the scene and getting the contact details of eyewitnesses.

What damages can I recoup?

You should be able to receive compensation for the repair of your car, as well as any medical expenses associated with the accident. You may also be entitled to compensation for lost wages and the pain and suffering that the accident caused.

How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

If you are unhappy with the compensation offered from insurance policies, you may want to file a lawsuit. In Colorado, those involved in car accidents have three years in which to file a claim.

If you have been involved in a car accident in Colorado, you should make sure that you have a good overview of the necessary steps that need to be taken to get the compensation that you deserve. An attorney can help you seek fair compensation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Initial Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Susan Fuller & Associates, P.C.
19751 E. Mainstreet Suite 270
Parker, CO 80138

Toll Free: 888-832-5976
Phone: 303-800-0474
Fax: 303-841-7620
Parker Law Office Map