Skip to Content

What can you do if a municipality contributes to crash injuries?


(720) 712-2972

Toll Free : (720) 712-2972

Most Parker, Colorado, motor vehicle accidents due to driver negligence. However, poor road conditions can also cause a crash or contribute to an accident. Examples of hazardous road conditions include:

  • Roadway potholes or sinkholes
  • Pavement or shoulder erosion
  • Missing traffic signs or signals
  • Absent or damaged guardrails
  • Faded lane markings

Cities in Colorado and elsewhere are responsible for maintaining public roads. When municipal entities fail in their responsibilities, motor vehicle accidents may occur, leaving victims with severe injuries. You may know to be careful around poor road conditions, but less aware motorists can still involve you in a crash if they encounter a roadway hazard.

Can you sue a government for poor road conditions?

Contrary to popular belief, you have the right to file an injury claim against municipal entities if road conditions (or other hazards) played a role in your crash. However, such cases are complex and generally require special handling.

For example, you may need to file an administrative claim with the municipality before taking other steps. If the administrative claim fails to make you whole, you may have the right to seek a civil claim against the city.

The legal steps required in most claims against government entities usually proceed differently than those involving private citizens. For this reason, you may benefit from competent legal guidance to ensure you meet associated deadlines and other requirements. If your motor vehicle accident involved another vehicle in addition to poor road conditions, you need more information. Becoming familiar with accident and injury claims in general and those involving the government is an effective way to begin your journey towards fair injury compensation.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
Share To: