What Is Sexual Harassment?
At Susan Fuller & Associates, P.C., our lawyers provide caring and trusted advice to victims of sexual harassment at work, school, churches — wherever such incidents may occur. Our attorneys possess decades of experience protecting the rights and safety of individuals in Parker and throughout Colorado. We’re here to offer support and help when it’s most needed.
Understanding Federal Sexual Harassment Laws
Under federal law, sexual harassment refers to unwelcome sexual behavior that any individual faces. These acts may be inherently sexual in nature, but also include a broader set of behaviors that are, in more or less subtle ways, offensive toward another person’s gender or threatening to one’s privacy.
Sexual harassment involves a range of actions, including:
- Unwelcome sexual advances
- Requests for sexual favors
- Unwanted touching, groping or grabbing
- Verbal harassment of a sexual nature
- Unwanted text messages
- Lewd video and social media messages from a boss or co-worker
- Off-color jokes, slander or insinuations
- Workplace same-sex sexual harassment
It is important to know that this is not an exhaustive list. If you experienced harassing behavior at work or in other locations where sexual harassment frequently occurs, report the incident to your human resources department and your supervisor immediately. If this is not an option for you, it is advisable to turn to a lawyer, who will know how to address the situation in a swift and appropriate manner.
Steps To Take When Sexual Harassment Occurs
Anyone who endures sexual harassment should, to the extent possible, take the following actions:
- Document the facts: This includes the harassment dates, times and any witnesses to the incident.
- Request and review your employee handbook: If the harassment occurred in your workplace, request an employee handbook from your human resources department as soon as possible. If no handbook exists, this itself ought to be documented.
- Report the harassment: You should notify both your boss and your human resources department if doing so is possible.
- Speak with a lawyer: Our attorneys provide a safe and confidential environment to listen to victims of sexual harassment and help them navigate through this difficult time.
Schedule A Free Confidential Consultation
We understand how difficult it is to speak up about such incidents. Our team focuses on creating a safe, confidential and compassionate experience for our clients. We will discuss the steps involved in your sexual harassment or sexual assault case to help you understand all your options so that you can make an informed decision about your best next steps.